Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Aladdin and the "wonderful" lamp

I read Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp over the weekend...let me just say Disney wasn't exactly true to the original tale....its not really a child's story.  The tale was about 100 pages long, read mostly on my laptop as well as an iPad.

Editorial:
I was surprised to find out that it is supposed to take place in China, though I wonder if that isn't a historical inaccuracy due to the fact that this version of the Arabian Tales was translated by a Brit in the late 19th century. I suspect the translator may have misidentified some of the important regional details.   I also feel like there  are also some subtle Christian undertones which would not have been in the original stories!  All in all, it is an interesting tale and follows Aladdin's life from impoverished "street" kid, to husband of a Princess, all made possible by the discovery of a magical lamp and the Genie within it.

My Process:

I edited a few portions of the text in the tales that used overtly offensive language.

I selected three pictures which illustrated some of the pivotal moments in the story and uploaded them into the epub file.   I linked them into the story by editing the XML document.

I created an Editors Page with information about our group: Matt, Kisha, Ebonee and myself to be included at the end of the book.

I validated the documents and uploaded them to our Basecamp account.  [I'll blog about the next steps and meeting recap....]

Takeaways:

Though the creation and validation process wasn't difficult using Sigil software, I did run into issues when I added the illustrations. For some reason Sigil used a syntax I couldn't figure out on my own, and had to use their "insert image" utility in order for the pictures to properly display.

It's actually pretty fun making an ebook!

Nicki

No comments:

Post a Comment